St. Georges Day Sherry Trifle
Love rhubarb. Love sherry. Love this l’atelier des chefs recipe and wine match.
Rhubarb and sherry trifle, a twist on the English classic trifle dessert with refreshing seasonal rhubarb.
For the sherry, use Hidalgo Pedro Ximenez Viejo ‘Napoleon’ – the ultimate sweet wine!
* For the fruit: Rhubarb : 750g Oranges : 2 whole Caster sugar : 200g
* For the base: Sponge fingers : 18 whole Sherry : 20cl of Pedro Ximenez sherry
* For the custard: Semi-skimmed milk : 25cl Double cream : 25cl Egg yolks : 6 whole Plain flour : 60g Caster sugar : 60g
*For the chantilly cream: Double cream : 12cl Icing sugar : 60g Vanilla pods : 1 whole
1. For the rhubarb: * Preheat the oven to 180′C. * Wash and cut the rhubarb into small pieces. * Juice and zest the oranges and mix with the sugar and the rhubarb. * Bake in the oven for around 10 to 15 minutes until tender.
2. For the base: * Break the sponge fingers in half and drizzle on the sherry.
3. For the custard: * Separate the eggs. * Whisk the egg yolks, flour and sugar together in a bowl. * Bring the milk and cream to the boil in a heavy bottomed pan. * Pour the boiling liquid onto the egg mixture, return to the pan cook over a medium heat
until the custard is thick. * Allow to cool, transfer to a piping bag and refrigerate.
4. For the chantilly cream: * De-seed the vanilla pod, combine with the sugar and cream and whisk until thick. * Spoon the cream into a piping bag.
5. To plate: * Place the sponge fingers in the bottom of a glass. * Top with the rhubarb, add a layer of the cold custard before finishing by piping on the vanilla cream.
Use different liquor such as Drambuie or Cointreau to add a different taste to the dish depending on the occasion.
Hidalgo Pedro Ximenez Viejo ‘Napoleon’. Produced by the Hidalgo Family bodega, established in 1792 in Sanlúcar. Made using grapes dried on straw mats, fermented and fortified, then aged under the solera system. One of the sweetest wines in the world, PX
is about as sweet as things can get – perfect drizzled on ice cream with your rhubarb trifle.