Majestic aims to be the nation's favourite wine specialist. We stock wines for every occasion. Our range is innovative, vibrant and diverse whilst representing the best quality and value. With some of the best trained people in the business, we share our enthusiasm and expertise to encourage our customers to explore the world of wine.
Share Fraud Warning to Shareholders - Boiler Room Scams
Share fraud includes scams where investors are called out of the blue and offered shares that often turn out to be worthless or non-existent, or an inflated price for shares they own. These calls come from fraudsters operating in ‘boiler rooms’ that are mostly based abroad.
While high profits are promised, those who buy or sell shares in this way usually lose their money.
The Financial Services Authority (FSA) has found most share fraud victims are experienced investors who lose an average of £20,000, with around £200m lost in the UK each year.
If you are offered unsolicited investment advice, discounted shares, a premium price for shares you own, or free company or research reports, you should take these steps before handing over any money:
- Get the name of the person and organisation contacting you.
- Check the FSA Register at www.fsa.gov.uk/fsaregister to ensure they are authorised.
- Use the details on the FSA Register to contact the firm.
- Call the FSA Consumer Helpline on 0845 606 1234 if there are no contact details on the Register or you are told they are out of date.
- Search the list of unauthorised firms and individuals to avoid doing business with.
- REMEMBER: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
If you use an unauthorised firm to buy or sell shares or other investments, you will not have access to the Financial Ombudsman Service or Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) if things go wrong.
Report a Scam
If you are approached about a share scam you should tell the FSA using the share fraud reporting form at www.fsa.gov.uk/scams, where you can find out about the latest investment scams. You can also call the Consumer Helpline on 0845 606 1234.
If you have already paid money to share fraudsters you should contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040